As part of our trilogy of mocktails for all you dry January folk – our first YUMMY contender is the ‘No Gin Cacao, Rose and Cascabel Chilli’ – DELISH!
We actually felt quite pissed when testing! Full recipe and method below – enjoy!
- 2 tbsp juniper berries ground
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup agave nectar
- 4 cups filtered water
- 2 whole dried cascabel chilli diced/crushed
- 1 piece cinnamon bark
- 1 star anise
- 2 crushed black cardamom
- 1 cup rose petals
- 6 tbsp cacao powder
- Pinch salt
- 150ml cacao solution
- 50ml juniper syrup
- 3 tsp cascabel powder
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Few rose petals
- Few cinnamon sticks
- Grind the juniper.
- Heat the water in a pan and add juniper, reduce by half.
- Add agave nectar and set aside to cool. Then strain.
- Crush chilli.
- Add chilli, cinnamon, star anise, bruised cardamom, rose, cacao, and salt to water & heat.
- Simmer for 10-15 mins, set aside to cool, then strain.
- Grind chilli, add to salt, mix and put on a side plate.
- Dip glass into water, then into the chilli salt for a good rimming!
- Add some ice to cocktail shaker.
- Then add the juniper sugar syrup and cacao solution and shake.
- Add ice to your rimmed glass and pour.
- Garnish with cinnamon and rose.
As Nan would say, “BOB’S YER UNCLE, FANNY’S YER AUNT!”