To assist the Head Chef with the efficient running of the kitchen and to carry out head chef duties in their absence. The role may be required to run and manage a smaller catering unit.
- You will require access to your own transport.
- You must be able to provide proof of right to work in the UK.
- Up-to-date contact details for at least 2 references.
- On line registration and achievement of Food Safety Level 2, Health & Safety Level 2.
- Desirable: First Aid and Fire Awareness courses.
- Provide essential support to the Head Chef, and where required, oversee and manage an individual satellite unit when unit base and location catering are split.
- Manage the catering element for a small independent production if required.
- React to all production requests/requirements and respond in a positive & timely manner.
- Must be familiar with all daily operations of the catering org and be able to perform any task where required.
- Control and monitor all HACCP/allergen requirements and the daily cleaning schedule – upload to Food Alert daily.
- Planning and directing food preparation ensuring food is prepared correctly by kitchen and Front of House team (i.e. sandwiches).
- Be aware of all relevant food suppliers and their products and order accordingly as and where necessary; due to requirements.
- Be aware of the required food cost percentages as set down by the budget.
- Ensure all work areas of the kitchen vehicle (or studio kitchen), dry stores (on the Luton) and refrigeration are maintained in a clean and hygienic condition at all times – especially after the shift has finished.
- Ensure all H&S practices are strictly adhered to especially concerning the correct and safe practice of using the LPG gas.
- To perform any other duties deemed necessary for the smooth and efficient running of the Department.
Managing Kitchen Staff:
- Ensure all staff within your team are well briefed on the daily responsibilities and given constant supervision and motivation on all aspects of their work.
- Encourage and recognise hard work within the back of house team.
- Lead and inspire the team to ensure the kitchen runs smoothly at all times – Help develop the junior members.
- Ensure the agreed standards of food preparation and presentation are adhered to.
- Report all accidents and any defects in kitchen equipment to the Head Chef and complete all relevant documentation on the Food Alert system.
- Report any vehicle damage/accidents immediately to the Unit Manager and log details.
- Supervise the training of new staff members to the department in the standard required by the Head Chef.
- Live and breathe Healthy Yummies brand and service standards.
- Provide regular communication, including praise and corrective coaching, to all team members.
- Be proactive in solving problems.
- Have a positive approach to communication with all members of the team.
- Responsible for ensuring that all food presented is of the highest quality to specification.
- To maintain constant quality control of all food prepared and cooked ensuring it is presented in accord with company handbooks.
Management and Administration:
- All HACCP, cleaning schedules, allergen information completed daily.
- Weekly cleaning schedules checked & signed.
- Good leadership, organisational, communication and management skills.
- Good judgement and decision-making skills.
- Able to multitask effectively.
- Ability to take ownership for all tasks, duties and responsibilities assigned to you, ensuring they are successfully completed, in a timely manner, to the required standard.
- Computer literate with good knowledge of Word/Excel programs.
- Hands on, proactive approach to the job role.
- Communicate any potential problems to line manager.
- Adhere to all company rules and regulations and procedures, actively complying with all reasonable requests or communications from the Company.
Hygiene / Personal Safety / Environment:
- Comply with and ensure the team understands and follows all company H&S/FS procedures.
- Encourage employees to work safely and look out for the safety of fellow workers.
- Ensure all new team members receive a thorough induction and are given all the initial help they need to achieve the required standards in their new job.
- Is responsible for keeping the equipment and furniture in good condition.
- Ensures machinery works reliably and follows up any technical work.
- Ensures that all F&B areas are kept clean and that hygiene and food safety standards are respected.
- Sets up an action plan based on the hygiene analysis results and tracks implementation.
- Is responsible for the security of people and property in the area under his/her remit.
During the course of duty you will have access to certain information, which demands the utmost confidentiality. Discretion must be exercised at all times.
Your responsibilities are included but not limited to this job description as this has been drafted as a guide. The company relies on the flexibility of the team to ensure the continuity of the high standards currently being achieved. It is not intended as a wholly comprehensive or permanent schedule of duties – the company reserves the right to amend this scope of works from time to time to accommodate the requirements of the business and the evolving nature of the role.